Your Gift Guide for New Moms
Sometimes, it’s hard to know what kind of gift to get someone. Especially if they’re having their first baby! If you’ve been invited to a baby shower or to meet a loved one’s new child, you might be finding yourself overwhelmed with gift ideas for them. Is a stuffed animal a good idea, or will everybody else bring one? What does your friend have already? What will actually be useful for them, rather than sit on the shelf collecting dust?
At Tactac, we’re happy to answer these questions for you, with help from current and soon-to-be moms about what they would love to receive as a gift. Enjoy!
Here are things we’ve heard that new moms really need:
- Diapers and wipes! Not glamorous, but trust me, your friend will use each and every one. In fact, diapers are one of the biggest costs in the first year of a child’s life.
- Diaper bag, the more stylish and functional the better.
- Swaddling blankets - the more the better.
- Baby hand mittens to keep the sharp nails from scratching sensitive skin and eyes.
- Newborn hats and socks.
- A bassinet for the newborn. A crib and mattress for stage two.
- Drool bibs! Extra points if they have funny sayings on them.
- Baby clothes. Onesies of all kinds are always a go-to. Again, extra points if they would inspire Mom to take photos of them.
- A car seat with newborn support.
- A high chair.
- Nursery storage, to keep everything organized and Mom’s peace of mind.
- Baby bath tub for the sink.
- A nursing bra with extra pads, coconut oil for nipple care, nipple shield and breastfeeding gear.
- A travel stroller.
- Items for the first night the baby is home: formula, bottles, pacifiers with clips, nasal aspirator.
- Diaper rash ointment, eczema cream, baby shampoo and wash clothes.
And here are things that new moms would love to have, but might not absolutely need:
- A play mat.
- A baby swing for rock and play.
- A play center.
- A boppy.
- A walker, to encourage the baby’s very first steps! This will ensure you’re tagged in the Facebook video.
- Hands-free baby carrier with newborn insert to wear your baby close while feeding, sleeping, walking, or just about anything.
- Toys for the baby! You can never have too many.
- A play pen to keep the baby safe and entertained.
- Candles, eye mask, bubble bath, or anything else that will encourage Mom to take some time for herself.
And these are just some of the ideas! What do you think, and do you have any ideas of good gifts or items we’re missing? Let us know. We’d love to hear from you.